Pages

Apr 3, 2010

Precious - Based on the novel Push by Sapphire

Bookmark and Share

After a lot of thought I finally decided to watch this movie and couldn't get over it for days after. The movie kept on playing in my mind and so I had to write about it if I wanted some peace of mind. Precious is an over-sized Afro-American teenager who's abused physically and emotionally by her parents in such a horrific way that its hard to believe its true. She's a dreamer and lives in her own fantasy land, maybe coz her real life really sucks and she wants to block it out. She wants to be rich and famous, have a light-skinned boyfriend with great hair and most of all she wants to be loved and cherished like any other kid. But sadly she drops out of school several times coz of her incestuous pregnancies and ends up almost illiterate. She's then put to a special school where she's taught how to read and write and make a life of her own. She's guided by a very generous teacher who pushes her to work hard and stand up to all the injustice against her. She gets in touch with a welfare officer and moves to an advancement home with her newborn. A teenager with 2 kids, one of whom is mentally retarded and the other an infant, Precious shows a lot of courage compared to many of us who stop trying after a few downfalls. She knows that she wont live long because of the disease she acquires from her father and she has nowhere to go and no idea whatsoever of how to take care of 2 kids but she knows that she can do a helluva lot better than her parents. She loves her kids and she knows that they love her and that's all that matters to her. Its a story of immense pain and sorrow with amazing actors who brought the characters in the book to life. There's no wonder that the movie has won an Oscar. Its a must-watch film especially for those who have found themselves in situations like Precious atleast once in their life; it helps you to push yourselves harder and move on. I'm glad I chose to watch it and not Avtar.

I read the book and its even more gut-wrenching compared to the movie. It is raw and makes you sob. But most of all it teaches you that no matter what, life goes on and just because it happened to you doesn't mean you have to throw yourself into a dark corner and stay there for the rest of your life. Girls, read the book, it might help you.

Image Courtesy: http://www.impawards.com/2009/precious_ver2.html

13 comments:

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

hey yes, i have already marked the film to watch. I have not read the post, for I wanna see the film first, will come back soon.

Ramesh said...

That's one truly gut wrenching tale. People who do this to children must be shot. Nice review and I can understand why you had to write to get it out - some books and movies disturb you for a long time.

Great to see you back Rads. Its been a long while and I thought you had quit blogging. Trust you are doing great.

rads said...

@Siddesh 'Ravan' Kabe: I'm not sure if guys wud like watching it but if u ask me, i'd say u shud coz the movie is not just about girls, its about children who are abused by parents and according to me that could be anybody irrespective of their gender. I'm sure u'll like the movie, it delivers a gr8 message.

rads said...

@Ramesh: Yep they shud be, but that doesn't solve the child's problem, there's a lot of trauma attached to such stuff and dealing with that is more difficult than punishing parents.

Thanks Ramesh :) I'm doing good... i thot i quit blogging too but there is something to write about always and writing being my major passion i do show up, if not regularly.

sammythewizzy said...

WELCOME BACK TO THE BLOGOSPHERE RADS :D :D :D

Missed your reviews!!

Btw.. I had this movie on my computer for a long long time but I never got the time to watch it.. Finally had to delete it as I was running out of space.. You are making me regret my decision :(

rads said...

Thanks Sammy :) Always keep an external USB drive for backup so that u don't lose ur movies, docs, photos n stuff. Don't worry, you could always rent a DVD or borrow it from a friend.

A said...

Welcome back Rads!! sorry checking this post out after so long!

(ajcl)

A journey called Life said...

I have been trying to put off reading this book, for the exact same reasons u mention in ur review, which btw was very good.. I think i need to go read it some time soon.

rads said...

@ajcl: Thanks Aparna :) you don't have to apologize but do read the book, its not something to be missed, i think all girls should read it...

Vyazz said...

Hey!!!....first off...its been ages since I heard from you!!! Welcome back!!....Soo good to be back at ur blog!!!! Have some techie questions to bombard you with later!!! :)
And the movie precious...is on my to be downloaded list!!.....Obviously movies can seldom capture the essence of the book....but nevertheless, will have a look see!!!

Luigi | Digital Postcards said...

Wow. I love the lesson that it teaches us, but I couldn't bear the thought. I know that it happens in real life, but I still hope that there'll be no more incidents like this in the whole world. Thanks for sharing the story.

rads said...

@Vyazz: Thanks Vyazz :) sure you can fire away ur questions nytime but i hv to tell u i'm not all that tech-savvy...if u ask me, read the book n watch the movie coz when reading u cud imagine something else sometimes n the movie will clear some of the doubts like what kind of a place Precious lived in n how do her classmates look like etc...

rads said...

@Luigi: That's a nice thought but sadly things like this are happening somewhere in the world as we are talking about it...but not many children are aware about what's happening to them n movies like this often throw a light on what's going on n how to deal with it...that's the reason i liked the movie...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...